Sulby Primary School is a special place full of
learning, laughter and friendship. Our vision is for all our children to become
confident, happy and enthusiastic learners who aspire to, and achieve, the
highest possible standards for themselves in all areas of life. We believe this
is best supported by our teachers, parents and children working together, in
partnership with all members of our school community, guided by our values and
The school encourages a love and understanding of learning, inspired by innovative teaching, quality relationships and the development of individual strengths and talents. We believe every child is entitled to enjoy his or her childhood and should look forward to coming to school. We teach the importance of moral values, which provide the foundations for life long friendships.
We want to inspire children to;
· have a positive self esteem; they are proud of their achievements and want to learn more.
· believe in themselves; they feel valued as individuals and recognise that their talents and skills can make a difference.
· become independent, responsible and considerate members of our community; they are able to make decisions and justify their actions.
· be highly motivated; they give their best effort in every aspect of school life.
· look forward to coming to school; they find learning exciting, interesting and enjoyable.
· enjoy challenges; they are confident problem solvers who can work independently and use their own initiative .
· think creatively; they explore different ways of doing things, identify issues and discover unique solutions.
· be resilient learners; they tackle any task, learn from mistakes and look for positive outcomes.
· be caring, considerate and supportive; they appreciate and value the friendship, efforts and contributions of others.
· cooperate and collaborate as part of a team; they listen and reflect, respond appropriately and are effective communicators.
· respect and take responsibility for the environment; they are able to think and act both, globally and locally.
We are committed to;
· providing a happy, safe and caring environment where working hard and behaving well are both expected and valued by everyone.
· ensuring all our staff believe in our vision and understand the importance of their contribution to meeting our challenge.
· achieving the highest possible educational standards for each child through a creative and structured curriculum.
· ensuring our staff provide a role model for learning in school and inspire confidence in colleagues, parents and pupils.
· maintaining an ethos of continual improvement, evaluation and development.
· maintaining the highest standards of pastoral care and providing equal access and opportunity for all.
· working in partnership with children, parents, teachers, and all members of our community
· providing a well resourced and stimulating learning environment
· making the best use of our outdoor environment and rural location to enhance our curriculum provision and to develop an awareness of the natural world.
· promoting a community that values respect and responsibility rather than rules and restrictions.
· providing and promoting a selection of clubs and activities for children to develop their own interests.
Our curriculum provision will;
· aim to make learning exciting, interesting, fun and successful.
· provide children with the skills and knowledge to make informed choices about how to stay safe and healthy and to enjoy life.
· develop and care for the whole child, ensuring they gain the skills and knowledge to prosper and to make a positive contribution to the community.
· aim to give every child a wide range of opportunities to help them develop intellectually, emotionally, socially, physically and morally.
· provide opportunities for children to develop their communication skills in a variety of contexts and media
· recognise that all children have a right to a broad, balanced and relevant education which provides continuity and progression and takes individual differences into account.
· ensure that all our children experience regular trips, educational visits, workshops and opportunities for fieldwork.
· encourage children to develop skills and appreciation in the fields of music, art, dance and drama and to share their creative skills through performance participation.
· teach children about the development of the human race through its successes and failures and to value personal achievements of all kinds.
· provide opportunities for independent research and encourage the development of children’s personal interests.
· recognise the importance of a home-school partnership and ensure the development of effective communication.
· reflect our Manx culture, heritage and traditions and provide opportunities for children to explore their local environment.
Our school community is committed to, and guided by, the following values:
Entitlement – Putting values into practice
Each individual child is entitled to enjoy school and receive the best education we can provide. We aim to ensure each child feels valued as an important member of our school community and that each person’s opinion is appreciated. We will provide clear information on their successes and achievements and offer consistent and responsive guidance to meet their individual needs. We aim for every child to have a positive self-image, high self-esteem and to become responsible, independent and enthusiastic learners.
We encourage high quality relationships between all members of the school community. Respect should be earned, given and shown by all partners in our school. We encourage children to respect, appreciate and value the efforts of others and to generate positive attitudes towards all people. We expect children to respect their school environment and the property of others. We promote and recognise the qualities of honesty, cooperation, tolerance and consideration.
We encourage children to take responsibility for their own organisation and possessions. We believe children should be given increasing responsibility and greater independence for their own learning as they progress through school.
We aim to inspire children to approach all aspects of their education with a positive attitude, enthusiasm and personal effort. We will endeavour to provide stimulating resources, presented in an interesting, inviting and exciting environment. We aim to lead and motivate children by example.
We aim to ensure that each child understands how he or she can make a difference within our school community. We want children to feel confident in answering questions knowing their opinion will be valued and appreciated. We aim to create a caring environment where children are not afraid to make mistakes and feel they are able to discuss problems in a supportive atmosphere.
We believe children should be encouraged to set personal challenges to extend their skills, knowledge and achievements. We aim to provide a range of challenging opportunities, appropriate to each individual, through differentiated tasks and activities. We aim to challenge children to justify their opinions and extend their thinking.
We believe in celebrating achievement and effort. We aim to provide an environment which values personal success and reward systems that recognise individual, effort, progress and team commitment.